Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Pumpkin Bars.

Last night I spent some time in my beloved kitchen baking pumpkin bars. I love baking and cooking in my kitchen and savor every opportunity I get to do that. For 15 years, I have been baking these bars each fall. As much as I enjoy the recipe, I just can't bring myself to make them in any season other than fall. I think if I made them in the summer, it would take away that wonderful sensation of knowing it's truly fall when you inhale the aroma of pumpkin and a variety of spices for the first time. Typically, I just make the pumpkin bars without a frosting, but last night I decided to try my hand at whipping up a cream cheese frosting to go on top. For those of you who may want a simple, new recipe to try this fall, here is the recipe I follow:

Pumpkin Bars
4 Eggs
1 2/3 Cup of Sugar
1 (16 oz) Can of Pumpkin
(Most small cans are 15 oz, so you can just use that,
or I throw in a little piece of banana to make up the difference.)

1 Cup of Oil
(I actually use half oil and half apple sauce, and they come out fine.)
2 Cups of Flour
2 Tsp. Baking Powder
1 Tsp. Salt
2 Tsp. Cinnamon
(I like to add other spices, such as nutmeg, ginger, and cloves.)
1 Tsp. Baking Soda

Beat eggs and sugar well. Add pumpkin and oil; beat until light.
Slowly add dry ingredients.
Pour into a large, greased, jelly roll pan, and bake at 350 for 25 minutes.

*If you choose to make a frosting to go with the bars,
I would recommend the recipe I tried, here.*

A little closing story for you:
I made this recipe for the first time when I was going to spend a day with my best friend, Olivia. Her parents and older brothers left us at home by ourselves for the first time, so we enjoyed our freedom by watching some old movies and eating pumpkin bars. Well, by the end of the day more than half the sheet of pumpkin bars had disappeared! My slender friend, Liv, had managed to eat half the pan of bars, single-handedly! To this day, we still love to laugh about that. Pumpkin bars hold a special place in our hearts (and stomachs). In fact, last fall, I received a package in the mail from Olivia. She had creatively found a way to send me a portion of the pumpkin bars she had baked. I felt so loved!

Enjoy your fall day!

Toodleloo!

2 comments:

Andysbethy said...

I am going to have to try those. They look and sound delicious! Perfect for this time of year.

Andysbethy said...

So, I finally made them about a week ago. Just wanted to let you know, I loved them, they were delicious, and I am going to have to make another batch!